[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  OT - systems management, change tracking/control software
 Date:  Sat, 4 Nov 2006 11:51:56 -0500
Only half OT because I'd use this partially for maintaining the couple
m0n0.ch jails I host.  :)

With the great diversity of tech gurus on this list, I'm hoping
someone will have an idea for me.

I've spent a lot of time trying to find a solution for change
management/tracking, recurring maintenance, etc. and I'm coming up
with either ridiculously expensive solutions, or nothing close to
suitable.

What I'm after is really pretty simple, it seems.  I want something
that is basically just a change database, with a basic task management
system.  i.e. a list of servers, routers, firewalls, switches, etc.
where I can enter notes upon every change, and then refer back to them
as needed.  Also something for recurring tasks.  I have scripts that
check various things on a regular basis, but would like to manually
check certain things once a month, or something like that, and have
this recurring task come up to remind me to do so.  I've seen a lot of
task management solutions, but none that are really a good fit for
this.

I'm open to any and all suggestions on list or off, commercial or open
source, and would greatly appreciate any insight on what apps you may
use to handle these types of things.

Cheers,
-Chris