[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  SDamron <sdamron at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OT - systems management, change tracking/control software
 Date:  Sat, 4 Nov 2006 11:33:39 -0600
Well...Not sure if it is as simple as you are looking for, but OpenNMS
is a nice package.  I use it for several smallish networks for Change
control, and general SNMP management of systems, etc.  You can find it
at www.opennms.org

On 11/4/06, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Only half OT because I'd use this partially for maintaining the couple
> m0n0.ch jails I host.  :)
>
> With the great diversity of tech gurus on this list, I'm hoping
> someone will have an idea for me.
>
> I've spent a lot of time trying to find a solution for change
> management/tracking, recurring maintenance, etc. and I'm coming up
> with either ridiculously expensive solutions, or nothing close to
> suitable.
>
> What I'm after is really pretty simple, it seems.  I want something
> that is basically just a change database, with a basic task management
> system.  i.e. a list of servers, routers, firewalls, switches, etc.
> where I can enter notes upon every change, and then refer back to them
> as needed.  Also something for recurring tasks.  I have scripts that
> check various things on a regular basis, but would like to manually
> check certain things once a month, or something like that, and have
> this recurring task come up to remind me to do so.  I've seen a lot of
> task management solutions, but none that are really a good fit for
> this.
>
> I'm open to any and all suggestions on list or off, commercial or open
> source, and would greatly appreciate any insight on what apps you may
> use to handle these types of things.
>
> Cheers,
> -Chris

Every revolution begins with the power of an idea and ends when the
only idea left is power.