[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Simon Buob" <simon dot buob at lan dot ch>
 To:  "Mark" <markryan at cfl dot rr dot com>, "SDamron" <sdamron at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "John Sommatino" <john at wombo dot com>, "monowall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] help with my new WRAP and m0n0wall
 Date:  Sun, 5 Nov 2006 21:23:28 +0100
Perhaps you have to distinguish between two possible Scenarios.

1. You have the clientside Scenario. Your Cable Modem has its configfile
(via TFTP every time the Modem
boots or the "Full Update" normally all 24 hours.
normally the MAX CPE IP is configured for only one Host or 2. So if you
replace your cpe behind the modem,
the modem "talks" with he "old" MAC, as the Modem cannot learn any new
MACs until its reboot.
If you reboot the Modem, MAC Table is Cleared, but if DHCP Lease is
still active you cant communicate
depends on your Cable Provider). Sometimes is necessary to release the
Lease before attaching the new device
and rebooting the Modem. IN rare Cases you have no way and have to wait
the Lease time to get over or call your
Isp to delete the entry manually on the UBR in the Headend (2.
Scenario).

If you are interested there is one resource in the www about CATV
Internet
(sibnce many years) i can really recommend ->

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html

Best regards