[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Taylor <chris at x dash bb dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Idle Curiosity - m0n0/Similar Used for "Big" Installations
 Date:  Wed, 01 Nov 2006 23:38:24 +0000
The question asked is from the POV of what ISPs do to prevent their
users from doing what they like. Many ISPs (at least here in the UK)
already employ bandwidth-limiting measures to slow a user's connection
down but today I think I've run across an ISP that seems to add 200ms of
delay to the connection as well. Still waiting to confirm this, hence my
question - I'm just wondering what they could be using to do it.

SDamron - thanks for that, I hadn't heard of Vyatta before! I shall look
into that more closely...

What I'm really interested in are the "big-iron" solutions that a large
commercial ISP could deploy if they wanted to do this. It seems unlikely
that they'd run a PC-based system but I confess that I know very little
about this end of the market.

Any thoughts on what you might use to achieve this kind of effect would
be welcome :)

Thanks again,

Chris Taylor