[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tor Soerensen" <tor at cfh dot ku dot dk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Svar: Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP vpn disconnects immediately
 Date:  Mon, 06 Nov 2006 11:35:38 +0100
(Apologies to Chris for sending this mail to his private email
initially)

Well I already tried resetting the state of the firewall between
connection attempt. I also tried rebooting m0n0wall to make sure no
states were still active, but it didnt help.

It's very likely that something on the client machine is causing the
trouble. The machine came with norton internet security installed, which
I have uninstalled to eliminate that as a possible cause. I even tried
reinstalling and re-uninstalling as I was not confident that it left the
system in its default condition. I also experimented with turning off
the regular firewall. I also went to the openbsd / ipfilter system that
is doing the NAT'ing and restarted ipfilter to clear anything that might
have gone wrong with there.

However I am still not able to use the pc for pptp vpn. I have googled
around but I have been unable to tel what is it that is mangling the
packets.

Regards,
Tor Sorensen

On 11/5/06, Tor Soerensen <tor at cfh dot ku dot dk> wrote:
> Hi, Im having trouble with PPTP VPN.
>
> I have two pc's running windows pptp clients against the same m0n0wall
> endpoint (recently upgraded to 1.22). Both client machines are
> behind the same NAT, and both with the same settings in the windows
pptp
> client.
>
> However 1 client PC always connects, the other always gets a 619
error.
> I'm not trying to connect both at one time.
>
> I have tried resetting fw states and even rebooting the firewall in
> between the attempts.

If you reset the state table, it should resolve that (if it's indeed
caused by the GRE limitations in m0n0wall).  619 is caused by broken
GRE, which is caused by either two trying to connect at the same time,
or one trying to connect after another disconnected but the states are
still in the state table, amongst other possibilities.

I'd also investigate any firewall software setup locally on the
machine.  Any firewall on the PC that doesn't work that blocks GRE
would cause this same issue.

-Chris