[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  bunea lucian <lucienut2003 at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] ADSL connection needs constantly "Reset state"
 Date:  Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:05:58 -0800 (PST)
You are right. One pc is using more than one p2p programs at once and it's exhausting my state table
. He is using WinXP SP2 (max 10 tcp connection/s) but still..
  Is there something I can do to limit the maximum concurent tcp conection per IP address?
Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:
  On 11/6/06, bunea lucian wrote:
> I am using a PII (~333MHz) with 64MB of RAM on a Intel motherbord (AL440LX) to handle a 4 Mb ADSL
connection for 10 users. I am using PPPoE to connect to ISP's server.
> My problem are:
> * after a while (usually 2-3 hours) I have to perform a "Reset state" if I want to browse
> the WEB again. This problem occurs even more often if I use a p2p program.

Everything you've described is all the signs of exhausting the state
table, which is 30,000 max states (and hard coded, you cannot easily
increase it).

Given your description of the network, I doubt if it's big enough to
exhaust the state table with normal traffic. Which means you probably
have a machine infected with a bot, worm, or something of that nature.
Or using some application that does something pretty dumb. Check
your state table under diagnostics to see what's using up all the
states.

-Chris

Sponsored Link

Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate - Click now to apply