[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark <markryan at cfl dot rr dot com>
 To:  monowall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  traffic shaping question
 Date:  Mon, 06 Nov 2006 22:29:24 -0500
Hi,

I have traffic shaping kinda working but i have a question.  I have a
10mbit/1mbit cable connection.  I have the download pipe set to 9000kbit
and the upload pipe set to 900kbit.  I several rules with prioritize the
traffic and things work pretty good.  The problem is a big download.
When someone is uploading and maxes out my 9000kbit pipe, my upload
speed drops way below 900kbit.

I am prioritizing the ack and small packets so i guess what i am seeing
is that it takes alot of bw to send acks for 9000kbit worth of inbound
traffic?

What can i do to fix this?

I tried lowering the inbound pipe to 6000kbit but it didnt seem to help.

Thanks,
mark