[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Krist van Besien" <krist dot vanbesien at gmail dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Lockups...
 Date:  Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:53:40 +0100
Hello,

A while ago my m0n0wall box (a PCengines WRAP) suffered from frequent
lockups. So I connected it to a USB powerswitch controlled by my
server. On this server a small script watches the router, and
powercycles it when it is stuck.

The odd thing is that since then there have been no more hangs... The
router has now been up for about two weeks.

This is kind of odd. I have two theories right now:

-My ISP gives me a new IP address regularly. This means that sometimes
I get an address that previously was used by some heavy P2P user,
which means a lot of work for the firewall, causing some state tables
to fill and the system to lock. THe last weeks I have just been lucky.

- When I rebooted the m0n0wall by hand I always did this by flipping a
switch off and on on the powerstrip. The script that I now use (in
combination with a USB controlled switch) waits 5 secodns between
switching off and switching on again. Could it be that previously I
just powercycled it to fast, so that the memory didn't get cleared
competely?

Does any of this make sense?

Krist

--