[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alexander Schaber <lists at alexanderschaber dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Hardware Question
 Date:  Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:54:04 +0100
Hello m0n0-list,

until now I've driven m0n0 on a regular P3 500 MHz on regular PC hardware.
I'm using m0n0 for basic routing, DHCP, DNS and have 6 3COM NICs installed.
(These will be transferred in any case).

Now I've got the choice for a new hardware fundation:

1 -
Dell Poweredge 2300
CPU: P2 400 MHz
RAM: 256 MB
HDD: SCSI 9 GB Harddrive (might even have another one to run a mirror raid)

2 -
Regular PC
CPU P4 1.7 GHz (some ASUS MB)
RAM: 256 MB
HDD: 128 CF2IDE

I really don't know which one would be better for m0n0 since it has to be a
fast and still reliable router and I guess a Dell Server is somehow made for
running 24/7. But there is the SCSI Drive from which m0n0 has to boot. Is
that a problem?
Of course the P4 alot faster but is the standard PC hardware as reliable as
the server architecture in the Dell?

Please give you're opinion and also give me a hint about what is really
important for a good throughput. Of course - NICs - are important, but what
else?

Greetings
 Alexander