[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David W. Hess <dwhess at banishedsouls dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Lockups...
 Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:06:29 -0600
On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:53:40 +0100, "Krist van Besien"
<krist dot vanbesien at gmail dot com> wrote:

>-My ISP gives me a new IP address regularly. This means that sometimes
>I get an address that previously was used by some heavy P2P user,
>which means a lot of work for the firewall, causing some state tables
>to fill and the system to lock. THe last weeks I have just been lucky.

Do blocked connections add rules to the firewall state tables?  If you were
forwarding the ports being used by the incoming P2P connections this could be a
problem.

>- When I rebooted the m0n0wall by hand I always did this by flipping a
>switch off and on on the powerstrip. The script that I now use (in
>combination with a USB controlled switch) waits 5 secodns between
>switching off and switching on again. Could it be that previously I
>just powercycled it to fast, so that the memory didn't get cleared
>competely?

While I doubt corrupted or uncleared memory contents would cause problems, it
would not be the first time a deceptively easy low voltage reset circuit with
marginal performance had made it into production.  If that is the case, you
should be able to test it using your script by resetting it every few minutes
and watching for failure.