[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Janvrin" <chrisjanvrin at sellmytimesharenow dot com>
 To:  "'Alexander Schaber'" <lists at alexanderschaber dot de>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Hardware Question
 Date:  Tue, 7 Nov 2006 13:56:27 -0500
For what it's worth, both machines would be more than ample to run m0n0. You
could make the argument that more is better, but m0n0 isn't very hardware
intensive. For what it's worth, the company I work for runs two instances of
m0n0 on two Soekris net 4801-50 embedded PCs and we haven't had any problems
at all. That is, no problems that weren't created by me ;)

To give you an idea of what kind of workout our Soekris boxes get, here's a
quick list of what we run:

Router1:
86 Windows PCs (running Wink2k and XP)
3 Linux PCs
5 network printers
3 fileservers running various flavors of nix
1 Windows update server
1 NAS running nix
4 T1 lines muxed via an Adtran 924e
1 Wireless access point serving a half dozen laptops
1 VoIP gateway serving 10 IP phones to remote locations

Router2:
1 webserver with two single core Opterons and four NICs
1 fileserver with two dual core Opterons and three NICs

At any given time router2 is handling 40-50 concurrent users accessing our
webserver using SSL on port 443. Neither Router has given us any headaches
whatsoever, and will easily handle our 6Mbps pipe on the WAN side-even with
all of the secure sessions. We have less than $800 invested between both
routers-and that price includes four extra power supplies.

Before going with the Soekris boxes we experimented with a couple of old
desktop PCs and servers. We found that quality NICs (like Intel or 3Com) are
more important than processor speed. A fast PC running Realtek NICs for
example will frequently be outperformed by a slower PC running quality Intel
or 3Com NICs.

Hope this helps :)

Chris Janvrin