[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hardware Question
 Date:  Tue, 7 Nov 2006 23:16:20 -0500
On 11/7/06, Daniele Guazzoni <daniele dot guazzoni at gcomm dot ch> wrote:
> Well if you want to drain the hell out of your m0n0wall the poweredge
> will run hot...
> I would go for the P4 and with the CF you have less moving parts, aka
> less possible failure.

If you take the SCSI drives out of the PowerEdge, it may take less
power and generate much less heat than most any P4.  PII and PIII
systems don't even come close to the power consumption and heat
generation of P4's and newer.

But that's assuming you're comparing similar systems.  if you're
comparing a PII server and a P4 desktop, the difference may be more
negligable (servers generally have more fans, etc.), though sans
drives, I'm sure a PII server generates less heat than even a desktop
P4.

-Chris