[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hardware Question
 Date:  Wed, 8 Nov 2006 01:23:33 -0500
On 11/8/06, Ron Carter <wcarterjr at earthlink dot net> wrote:
> This should be interesting to all:  I am runing a C3 giga pro with the
> onboard nic and two 3com nics.  256 meg of ram and CF drive.  It is
> extreamly fast.
>
> I have a few minor issue to figure out, those are extreamly low on the list.
> over it works well.  Can anyone recommend a small foot print case that I can
> put this in.  My system is on the gallery web page.  I would love to find a
> 1U or 2U case with a riser that it would work in or a extreamly small desk
> top case.
>
> I looking to save on the power bill and the 500 watt power supply is over
> kill for my situation.

I don't really have an answer to your question, but a comment.

Just because you have a 500 wt power supply doesn't mean it's using
500 watts.  I'm no power supply guru, so it may use more than a
smaller power supply would, but I don't think there would be much if
any difference in actual power consumption.  I have one box with a 500
wt power supply that actually draws 275 wt under normal operation, and
another that draws 175 wt under normal operation (these are boxes with
numerous drives, power draw if they were firewall boxes would be much
less even on a 500 wt supply).

Every self-respecting geek should have a Kill-a-watt meter (google it,
they're available all over and they're cheap) to measure power
consumption.  I have a couple, they're great for UPS size planning and
gathering power consumption info, for cost or other reasons.

-Chris