[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPSec
 Date:  Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:49:25 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Christopher M. Iarocci wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestion, but I already know that is not an option.
> Once my DHCP lease runs out, they give the IP to another user, and it causes
> IP conflicts on their network.  My router has to continually renew it's
> lease.  When it does, it is given the same IP over and over again, but if I
> allow my lease to run out, my IP is definitely given away.  :-(

So your ISP:

1) Ignores the part of the DHCP spec that says they're supposed to
maintain a persistent association between clients and IPs as much as
possible, even after lease expirations.  Or is so underprovisioned for IPs
that they have to recycle them rapidly.

and

2) Doesn't have enough filtering to keep you from screwing up other
people's access by using an incorrect IP.

The ISP formerly known as @Home is guilty of #2, but not #1.

					Fred Wright