[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Frans J King" <kingf1 at cs dot man dot ac dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  dnsmasq fails to load on boot
 Date:  Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:04:37 +0100
Hi,

I've just noticed after rebooting my m0n0wall system that dnsmasq fails
to load on reboot. The error given in the system logs is "dnsmasq bind
failed: address already in use". I assume that this is referring to an
IP address conflict rather than a NIC conflict.

The settings on the firewall are:

LAN IP = 192.168.173.1
LAN NET = 192.168.173.0/24

WAN = DHCP

OPT1 = 192.168.1.1
OPT1 NET = 192.168.1.0/24

DHCP range is 192.168.173.20 - 192.168.173.254.

I can't see any problems with this setup like overlapping IP ranges and
even if m0n0wall is the only system running on the network, dnsmasq
still fails to load.
Interestingly if I log in to m0n0wall and click the "save" button on the
DNS forwarder page, dnsmasq reloads itself without any problems. Does
anyone know what could be causing this.

Cheers

Frans

P.S. One other thing to note is that I'm using an Ethernet ADSL modem.
The modem IP is 192.168.0.1 but it serves the IP address it receives
from my ISP back to the WAN interface on m0n0wall.