[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to get a shell prompt
 Date:  Thu, 7 Aug 2003 01:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Garry Taylor wrote:

> Well since my first NOOB question was not answered, I
> wonder if anyone will answer this one??????
>
> How to get a shell prompt from the serial port once
> m0n0wall has booted?
>
> Ah I guess there is no shell running, so the answer is
> you cannot!!

Right answer; wrong reason.  "No shell running" is irrelevant, since
anything that provided a shell would almost certainnly be launching a new
one, anyway.  But there's no option in the console menu to do that.

Then there's the matter of not having all the utilities you'd like once
you get there, e.g. tcpdump, arp, etc.  And there's the problem that the
CF image is currently sized for 5MB and nearly full, so that would need to
be changed if much more were added.  Not that keeping it down to 5MB seems
terribly important.  And the firmware update will need to increase the
size of the temporary FS before the size of the *compressed* image reaches
5MB, or the upload will fail.

					Fred Wright