[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  bmah at freebsd dot org (Bruce A. Mah)
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  Roberto Zilli <r dot zilli at ingredium dot it>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] pb14 is out
 Date:  Thu, 07 Aug 2003 21:03:32 -0700
If memory serves me right, Manuel Kasper wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Roberto Zilli wrote:
>
> > The boot seems ok, but when the kernel is loaded something goes wrong,
> > the loading is VERY slow.
> > I've try another CF to be shure about this failure. It't working on my desk
> !
> > The working well CF card is a SanDisk.
>
> Umm, OK, so at least the boot1 stage is OK. Hmm, I'm not so sure anymore
> that I didn't accidentally overwrite the patched loader (it needs a patch
> to read only one sector at a time, too) with an unpatched version.
>
> The problem is just that I don't have a "broken" CF card, so I can't test
> it myself. I'll have a look this evening and make another image available
> with a known-patched loader so you can test again, if you don't mind.

Just a "me too"...

I'm seeing similar behavior here, with a Crucial Technology 256MB card
(which didn't work at all with a pb13 image) in a Soekris 4501.  An
annotated (manual) screen-scrape looks like:

-----

BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS 639kB/64512kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
(root at nb dot neon1 dot net, Mon Jul 28 20:31:49 CEST 2003)
-                                    <--- Very slowly twirling cursor here
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel]...                  <--- Long pause here
can't load 'kernel'                  <--- Long pause here
can't load 'kernel.old'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok

-----

A 32MB SanDisk card in the same 4501 works fine.

Cheers,

Bruce.