[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  async ppp as a backup link?
 Date:  Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:33:49 -0400
Has anyone managed to get m0n0wall to use a backup link, like a dialup
link, in case the primary link is down?  By "link", I mean upstream
internet connection.

The reason I ask is that I've got a soekris 4511 that I'd like to use
m0n0wall with.  I'd like for the primary link to be ethernet, and the
backup link to be a pcmcia cellular modem card (looks like a serial port
under linux, might be possible to make it work that way under freebsd,
it's an aircard 555 by sierra wireless).  I'd like to be able to take
this router anywhere, and be able to get online, either thru an available
ethernet port at that location, or via the cellular modem as a backup
link.

I would just jump in and start hacking on m0n0wall myself, except I don't
have any freebsd machines currently, nor the hardware to put it on for
development.  Also, the last version of FreeBSD I used was 3.3.  :(

I've currently got a super stripped down gentoo linux install on a 256M
CF card (about 112M in use) doing just basic iptables nat and only
working with the ppp over cellular link, and this is turning out to be a
whole lot more work than anticipated.

I'm considering getting another soekris to put m0n0wall on to replace my
existing smoothwall linux firewall box.  I'm really impressed with the
quality and ease of use of m0n0wall.

Thanks for your time,
Jim Gifford