[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Frans J King" <kingf1 at cs dot man dot ac dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Fireware upgrade fails. gunzip broken pipe
 Date:  Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:12:29 +0100
Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware on my m0n0wall box. The actual
machine is a mini-itx box with the hard disk (I couldn't get my CF card
to work) plugged into the secondary master (/dev/ad2). There is no
realistic way of changing it to use /dev/ad0.

So, I downloaded the new image and did the following to make /etc/fstab
refect my setup:

> cp *.img generic-pc-pb14r457.img.gz
> gzip -d generic-pc-pb14r457.img.gz

> vnconfig -s labels -c vn0 generic-pc-pb14r457.img
> mount /dev/vn0a /mnt
> cp /mnt/mfsroot.gz /var/tmp
> umount /mnt
> vnconfig -u vn0

> cd /var/tmp
> gzip -d mfsroot.gz
> vnconfig -s labels -c vn0 mfsroot
> mount /dev/vn0c /mnt

> cd /mnt/etc
> vi fstab.cf (and changed the /cf mount point to use /dev/ad2a instead
of /dev/ad0a)

> umount /mnt
> vnconfig -u vn0

> vnconfig -s labels -c vn0 generic-pc-pb14r457.img
> mount /dev/vn0a /mnt
> cp /var/tmp/mfsroot.gz /mnt (overwriting the old one)
> umount /mnt
> vnconfig -u vn0

gzip -9 generic-pc-pb14r457.img
mv generic-pc-pb14r457.img.gz generic-pc-pb14r457.img

and used this to upgrade the firmware. But during the upgrade the
console shows ("gunzip broken pipe") and nothing
gets upgraded. I'm thinking perhaps I have a corrupted compressed image
but I can uncompress it fine on my development
box.

Does anyone know where I may be going wrong or if I need to modify
/etc/rc.firmware.

Thanks,

Frans