[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Nellemann" <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridging without bridge?
 Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:14:30 +0100
Hi Dany,

Thanks for answering!

> Using PPTP I was able to secure my WLAN connection using OPT1
(external
> Access Point). The OPT1 is on a 10.112.x.x subnet.
> As soon as the user authenticates, he gets a virtual IP address within
> the LAN subnet so I don't have to setup any static route. The only
rules
> I used are :
> --> for OPT1 :
> GRE * * * *
> TCP * * * 1723
>
> --> for PPTP
> * * * * *

Looks like my rules are even more open:

--> for OPT1:
* * * * *

--> for LAN:
* * * * *

Also I've tried this a little less open version:

--> for OPT1:
* OPT1 Net * * *

--> for LAN:
* LAN Net * * *

> I'm not sure if that answers your question but I thought it was
> interesting to share. Anyway, below you'll also find more about this
> configuration.

As I'm hoping to communicate freely, as opposed to via PPTP, between the
two networks, no, it doesn't really answer my question, but still
interesting though :)

The strange thing is that my brother runs with a configuration very
similar to mine (actually the less open version above), and has no
trouble either ping'ing or otherwise communicating between the two nets.
Whereas I can't even ping m0n0wall itself, if trying the LAN IP from a
machine on the OPT1 network??? (Only real differences between our setups
are different subnet IP's and the fact that my brother runs his m0n0wall
on a 4501, while I'm using the generic PC image.)

Let me know if you (or anyone else?) have any suggestions to what might
be wrong with my setup?

Adam.