[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  William Bulley <web at merit dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Warning: First time newbie question...
 Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:56:43 -0500
I own a Soekris 4521 and have loaded and configured m0n0wall
with net45xx-pb26r614.img but I can't get the WAN interface
to hold an IP address.  Diagram of the setup and description
follows:

BEFORE (works just fine -- not using DHCP addresses, BTW):

ADSL cloud
     ^

[w.x.y.z]
vendor provided ADSL "router" at [w.x.y.z] static IP address with lame firewall
and NAT'd internal network [net 10] the router (gateway) itself [10.0.0.1] is
configured as a DHCP server and has a built-in four port hub:
[10.0.0.1]
     ^         ^    ^    ^ (hub's three remaining ports unused)
     |         |    |    |
     |         v    v    v

[10.0.0.13 static address]
FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE system

AFTER (doesn't work -- don't care if static IP or DHCP on m0n0wall WAN port):

ADSL cloud
     ^

[w.x.y.z]
vendor provided ADSL "router" at [w.x.y.z] static IP address with lame firewall
and NAT'd internal network [net 10] the router (gateway) itself [10.0.0.1] is
configured as a DHCP server and has a built-in four port hub:
[10.0.0.1]
     ^         ^    ^    ^ (hub's three remaining ports unused)
     |         |    |    |
     |         v    v    v

[WAN port - no IP address either staticly assigned or via DHCP from gateway]
Soekris box <----------------> [WiFi 802.11 card bridged with LAN on 10.0.0.0/8]
[LAN port - 10.0.1.2 static address]
     ^

[10.0.0.13 static address]
FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE system

At first I tried to configure mOnOwall according to the article at:

   http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/story/0,24330,3588031,00.html

This sort of worked, but I could not ping past the WAN interface to anywhere
outside my local net 10 LAN.  The WAN interface had no IP address according
to the Status -> Interfaces link on the m0n0wall WWW page (easily accessible
from my FreeBSD box by browsing to the LAN address on my Soekris at 10.0.1.2).

I then decided I needed to configure a static IP address on the WAN interface,
but that failed, too (I couldn't get it to show up in the "Interfaces" status).
I then tried to let my ADSL vendor's router supply an IP address out of the, as
yet unused, DHCP pool of addresses.  According to the lame router it did assign
an address to the MAC address of my m0m0wall's WAN interface, but I could never
see that in the Status->Interfaces screen and there is no way to cancel the DHCP
lease on that address that I could find on this *&^*&%^ lame router.  :-(

I believe I want to bridge all this, not route anything, and use the m0n0wall as
a firewall between the ADSL world and my internal LAN - including the wireless
bridged network.  What should be a simple implementation (certainly given the
Tech-TV guide) doesn't work for me.  Can someone shed any light on this problem?

I have scanned all the Subject: lines of the December 2003 and January 2004
archives of this list.  I have read those threads that seemed like they might
address this issue, but did not find anything that would help.   Please be
kind since I know not what I do (yet)...   :-)

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley