[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  M0N0Wall firewall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Load balancing options? Share some ideas before we go off hacking alone ;-)
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:51:44 +1000
Hi All,

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 00:45, joshmccormack at travelersdiary dot com wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
>
> > Here is a commercial (not often discussed from what I've seen) product that
> > does what I need:
> >
> > http://nct.symantecstore.com/0001/appliance_center.html
> >
> > All it has that mono doesn't (imho, and considering what I find useful) is
> > the connection load balancing...
>
> It has an IDS.
> It has dial-up backup
> Lots of LEDs
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Currently one of my customers is using about 200 of those symantec units,
> > with plans to expand... be nice to have a home rolled alternative.
>
> Does it have a way to centrally manage them all? Like http://www.fwbuilder.org
>
> <snip>
>
> I'm adding this to my comparison chart. Good commercial product to compare against (cheap &
feature rich).

I'm *really* not a fan of Symantec products.  All their Windows-based
software is serious bloatware, reduces system stability, and is
questionable as to its seccess at its aims.  NAV is not too bad at virus
detection, but not the best by far (http://www.nod32.com/) and it is
fooking HUGE.  Almost as big as MS Office!

Ghost, OTOH, is nice, but I only use its DOS app, I don't install the
whole Windows deal - not needed.  (I have also used Ghost since ver 1.0
- well before Symantec bought this from Ghostsoft in NZ.)

Symantec Personal Firewall, and Symantec Internet Security are
pathetic.  Calling them security products is like calling a banana a
ceiling tile.

However, at the price of these units, I have been considering purchasing
a Symantec Firewall/VPN 100 just to pull apart and see if I can get a
decent OS on it.  Does anyone know what's actually inside these boxes?

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/