[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: [m0n0wall] Feature request which would makem0n0wall even better ;)
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:30:38 -0500
On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:28:33PM -0800, Michael A. Alderete wrote:
> >>I just expressed my wish there was a project as beautifull as m0n0wall,
> >>with the goal of being an all-in-one appliance.
> >
> >So, if a large enough group of folks want that and aren't just gassing,
> >let's build it!  Put m0n0BSD on another Soekris, plug it into the DMZ port
> >on a m0n0wall and go to town.  I could see ntp, IDS, DNS, Samba file
> >service, etc.
>
> I think this is called a Cobalt Qube. The software for which is now Open
> Source:
>
> Ars Technica: Sun open sources Cobalt Qube/Raq software
> <http://www.arstechnica.com/news/posts/1073078201.html>
>
>    "The Qube's back-end and UI software has officially
>     gone Open Source under a BSD-style license. The custom
>     BIOS code is available here, and the other stuff, now
>     called Blue Quartz, is available here."
>
> Nice article, Ars does a good job, as usual, with good pointers to other
> resources.
>
> Have at it.
>
> Michael

How does this compare with openfiler http://www.openfiler.org/ software?

Granted, openfiler seems to be targeting redhat, but it seems to be well
on the way to duplicating much of the functionality of a netapp filer.

What I would love to see would be something of m0n0wall's caliber
dedicated to authentication/directory services.  A nice LDAP/Kerberos
server.  It would be even nicer if it could function as an AD server
for the poor windows systems out there.

Oh well, I'll just keep dreaming.

Manuel, great work on m0n0wall!

jim