[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche dot us>
 To:  Brandon Holland <brandon at cookssaw dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] T1
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:49:09 -0600
Brandon Holland wrote:
> We're in the process of purchasing T1 I have to find a cheap router
> that'll do that job.  Is there no way I could buy a T1 or something
> for PC? :-)

They're expensive.  It's cheaper to get a Cisco 2501 (dual serial
interfaces, ethernet port) + external CSU/DSU than the PCI card for the PC.

Heck, for the price of the PCI card you can get a spare or three!

> At any rate, even if I have to buy a whole router (with csu/dsu) for
> T1 I will still be able to use m0n0 bridged, right?

Correct.

> Does anyone else use this type setup?   What is a common base line T1
> router?

A Cisco 2501 or 1601R is a common "base line" router.  A 2610 or 1720
with a WIC-1DSU-T1 is also fairly common.

It would be a very good idea to get in touch with a broker - talking
with the sales guys can sometimes be educational - they know the
equipment better than you or I - and if you tell them your requirements
they make sure you get the right equipment.

Three such brokers are
  * Optimum Data (http://www.optimumdata.com)
  * Network Hardware Resale (http://www.networkhardware.com)
  * Multi-Link Communications (http://www.mlcp.com)

Be sure to google for more!

Disclaimer: I work for the first and know some the guys at the others.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche dot us