[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dick Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 To:  Nik Clayton <nik at ngo dot org dot uk>
 Cc:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>, Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature request which would make m0n0wall evenbetter ;)
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:05:17 +0000

> You could, for example, overlay webmin on the top of m0n0bsd, have most
> of the functionality that I'm talking about, but it just wouldn't look
> as pretty

Nik sorry but thats a load of cobblers. For a start go look at Webmin's
licence and then look at the dependencies - yes Webmin installs on most
BSDs but what is the meat and potato behind Webmin.

Oh yes

Perl

And how big would M0n0 be with 11.21mb of necessary binaries and
executables ??

I "like" webmin - I run it on Cobalt RaQ MIPS boxes where I've ported
them to NetBSD but unfortunately its best avoided because of the tie in
to Caldera some years ago. Anything tainted or touched by Caldera
association that does grow and become successful will no doubt get a
nice lawyers letter from thost f*ckwits in Orem Utah who once tried to
hire me to be their European CEO. Thats one job I am glad I turned down.

Avoid Webmin - talented really cool author - tainted by association and
who needs 12mb of Perl that would treble the size of the ISO.

So no - you can't just "overlay" Webmin on M0n0. Please look under the
bonnet before suggesting dumping a Buick 5 litre engine into an engine
bay the size of  Ford Fiesta :)

Dick