[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christiaens Joachim <jchristi at oce dot be>
 To:  "'Adam Nellemann'" <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Bridging without bridge?
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:28:13 +0100

You're not wrong at all. As pointed out by Dany, you can use PPTP to
accomplish what you're looking for, but you can also use 'bridging without
bridge' or 'routing' as it is called :-).

When you assign your 2 subnets (ex. 10.0.0.1/24 for the LAN interface and
192.168.1.1/24 for the OPT1 interface), then your routes are created
automagically on the m0n0wall (both subnets are on a local interfaces of the
m0n0wall).
The only thing you will need to do to enable traffic between hosts on both
subnets, is be shure to configure the clients. Make shure your default
gateway on these clients point to the respective IP-addresses of m0n0wall
(ex. 10.0.0.1 for LAN clients, 192.168.1.1 for OPT1 clients), but this
should be done by the m0n0wall's internal DCHP-server already.
Make shure the subnets of both interfaces do not overlap!

> I have rules to pass any on LAN -> any and any on OPT1 -> any. (would
> like to restrict this a bit, but for now I use these very
> open rules to
> ensure it isn't the rules being too strict that cause the
> problems. I've
> even tried setting the source to any as well, but the above rules work
> for my brother.)

These rules seem fine.

> Sometimes, as I've experimented with these, I succeed in getting
> m0n0wall to stop responding. Usually a manual reboot will
> cure this. Is
> this due to me accidentially setting up some kind of "bad"
> static route
> (ie causing some kind of loop) or is this a bug in m0n0wall? (If not a
> bug, could you provide a, very short, tutorial as to how a typical
> static route between two interfaces/subnets will look?)

All depends on the routes you are creating. If you create routes that
interfere with the routes created for the interfaces' local subnets, you can
mess up :-).

Regards,
Joachim

MISSION STATEMENT