[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brian Z" <mono at ricerage dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] T1
 Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:06:22 -0500 (EST)
I don't see how that helps *Brandon*  with his original question. :D
Also, "linux cisco iso"? Huh?! I've never heard of any such thing, and
freshmeat'ing hasn't yielded much for me. You're not referring to zebra
(or as its now called, quagga) are you? Is this a distribution of some
kind?

As for T1 PCI cards, I'm not sure how well supported these are. The only
things I see (in the 2.4.22 linux kernel) are support for Lan Media
devices, and possibly SyncLink stuff. As I've never touched such devices,
I have no valuable input here at all. Brian, whats the make of this card?
Know anything about its driver support?

IMO, putting price aside, a PC based T1 router solution is an added level
of complexity thats just unnecessary. A dedicated "hardware router" (by
which I mean a device specifically created/designed/engineered/willed into
existance) is going to give you less of a headache in the long run. Little
nagging PC hardware based problems, regardless of OS, would drive me crazy
when my internet connectivity is concerned. (No I'm not a hypocrite for
running m0n0wall, shut up :)

Throwing an inexpensive router into production makes a lot more sense to
me. Whatever, my $.02.

 Brian