[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "fisch" <fisch at conne dash island dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] confix.xml in ramdisc?
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:51:11 +0100 (CET)
Andreas Mueller sagte:
> fisch wrote:
>> hi,
>> on every change of rules m0n0wall is writing to floppy. That's no
>> problem
>> but I don't trust the lifetime of a floppy. Is it possible to copy the
>> config.xml after boot to ramdisk and use it there? Saving the config.xml
>> back to floppy can be done with the exec.php.
>> by fisch
>
> I had the same thoughts too, but: What if there is a power failure? All
> your
> changes are lost.

not realy :)

I worked with sentry-firewall in the same way. You have to safe your
configs by yourself. On boot they were copied to ramdisk, every change you
make happens in ramdisk. If you don't save, you could loose data.
But: If you have to change 50 rules - this 50 changes were made in ramdisk
and only one write to disk is necessary. And you can writeprotect your
floppy and you can take out your floppy, so noone can hack your working
config.

> Regards,
> Andreas

bye