[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Barry Murphy" <barry at unix dot co dot nz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PC Card
 Date:  Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:09:50 +1300
Hi,

I havnt yet purchased a pc card to insert into my m0n0wall as I wanted
to confirm something first.

1./ Does m0n0wall support orinoco cards?
2./ Can I use the WLAN as the default route?

I currently have a WAN and LAN, on the WAN I have a wireless AP in
client mode connection to my ISP over wireless, however the AP is
playing up as it doesn't bridge the networks proerly, incompatability of
hardware. My ISP can ping my AP but nothing further, I can ping my AP
from my network but nothing further, apparently it's an issue with this
cameo chipset.

What I want to do, is stick a orinoco pcmcia card into the m0n0wall and
use that in client mode to my ISP, do that NAT on the WLAN so the LAN
has internet. This would mean I'll have nothing plugged into the WAN,
but perhaps use it at a later stage.

|ISP|

(m0n0wall)

|WLAN|

|LAN|

The lan actually connected to an Access Point and I then connect to the
access point from home. So my network actually looks like this...

|ISP| <-> |m0n0wall| <-> |AP| <-> |AP Client Mode| <-> |FreeBSD Box| <->
|Internal Lan|

On the m0n0wall I'm going to apply a nat rule to allow inet access to
the FreeBSD box's IP, from the FBSD box I'll have a pptp server running
to allow clients on the internal lan to surf. The connection from FBSD
box to ISP runs over an encrypted vtun so that all my data goes to the
ISP just using the m0n0wall for one default route to the telehoused box
at the ISP.

I hope I h ave explained this easy enough.

Thanks
Barry