[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PC Card
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:03:36 -0500
On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 01:09:50PM +1300, Barry Murphy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I havnt yet purchased a pc card to insert into my m0n0wall as I wanted
> to confirm something first.
>
> 1./ Does m0n0wall support orinoco cards?
> 2./ Can I use the WLAN as the default route?
>
> I currently have a WAN and LAN, on the WAN I have a wireless AP in
> client mode connection to my ISP over wireless, however the AP is
> playing up as it doesn't bridge the networks proerly, incompatability of
> hardware. My ISP can ping my AP but nothing further, I can ping my AP
> from my network but nothing further, apparently it's an issue with this
> cameo chipset.
>
> What I want to do, is stick a orinoco pcmcia card into the m0n0wall and
> use that in client mode to my ISP, do that NAT on the WLAN so the LAN
> has internet. This would mean I'll have nothing plugged into the WAN,
> but perhaps use it at a later stage.
>

> |ISP|
> (m0n0wall)
> |WLAN|
> |LAN|
>
> The lan actually connected to an Access Point and I then connect to the
> access point from home. So my network actually looks like this...
>
> |ISP| <-> |m0n0wall| <-> |AP| <-> |AP Client Mode| <-> |FreeBSD Box| <->
> |Internal Lan|
>
> On the m0n0wall I'm going to apply a nat rule to allow inet access to
> the FreeBSD box's IP, from the FBSD box I'll have a pptp server running
> to allow clients on the internal lan to surf. The connection from FBSD
> box to ISP runs over an encrypted vtun so that all my data goes to the
> ISP just using the m0n0wall for one default route to the telehoused box
> at the ISP.
>
> I hope I h ave explained this easy enough.
>
> Thanks
> Barry

Barry,

I'm not sure I follow your description, as it seems to contradict the
ascii art.  Or perhaps I'm just missing it.  Anyway, I'll tell you what
I've tried and verified works:

I took a wavelan gold card out of an apple airport base station and put
it in my net4511 with a fresh copy of the latest m0n0wall (pb26r614).
I connected a computer to the port labeled 'eth0' with a crossover
cable.  I booted m0n0wall, and configured the ports with 'wi0' as the
WAN, and 'sis0' as the LAN.  After rebooting, I connected the PC to
http://192.168.1.1/ and logged is as 'admin' with the password of 'mono'.
It worked fine.  I could make normal network connections from the machine
(surfing, ssh, etc) without problem.  The net4511 wireless was a client
to a test linksys AP with no WEP, which is behind a PC running m0n0wall.
I didn't do any extra configuration of anything.  It all "just worked".

I *think* the above test might answer some of your questions.  I hope
this helps.

jim