[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Gifford <jim at giffords dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Additional Software install
 Date:  Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:34:08 -0500
On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 11:41:58AM +0100, Philipp Walther wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I've just ordered a mini-itx system (via-cpu 1ghz, 80gb hd) and
> am looking for a firewall/router etc.
>
> m0n0wall seems to have all the features I want (traffic shaping
> as one of the most important).
>
> BUT, Can I add additional software to m0n0wall?

Not as easily as you might think (certainly not quite as easily as with
smoothwall).  However, it is technically possible.

> I am planning to do a harddisk install and would like to connect with
> ssh to my firewall. It would be cool if I could do nmap/ping and
> stuff on that firewall (even a gcc is sometimes handy).
>
> I know it may look rather strange to you, to have sshd running
> on a firewall - but for my use it's okay.
>
> Regards and thanks in advance
> phil

Even a hard disk install of m0n0wall on a generic pc is basically a
kernel and a ramdisk image.  The entire OS is running from the ramdisk.

It is technically possible to add software to the image and stuff, but
you will find it to be more work than you might think.

ping is already included under Diagnostics->ping in the UI.

All the commands on the system are accessible via /exec.php.  To me, that
makes ssh access unnecessary.

Good luck, and hope this helps,
jim