[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Additional Software install
 Date:  Sat, 31 Jan 2004 07:17:41 +1000
Hi Phil,

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 20:41, Philipp Walther wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I've just ordered a mini-itx system (via-cpu 1ghz, 80gb hd) and
> am looking for a firewall/router etc.
>
> m0n0wall seems to have all the features I want (traffic shaping
> as one of the most important).
>
> BUT, Can I add additional software to m0n0wall?
>
> I am planning to do a harddisk install and would like to connect with
> ssh to my firewall. It would be cool if I could do nmap/ping and
> stuff on that firewall (even a gcc is sometimes handy).

ssh would be handy, agreed.

gcc on a firewall is total, complete and utter lunacy.  It is only
sensible to have gcc on a box *protected* by a firewall - any machine
directly attached to the Internet running gcc is a problem asking to
happen.

nmap is ideal to be run from a machine *behind* the firewall.

> I know it may look rather strange to you, to have sshd running
> on a firewall - but for my use it's okay.

sshd running on a firewall isn't that strange.  What is strange is Cisco
running telnetd on their "security devices".  That's not strange,
actually, that's braindead.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/