[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Nellemann" <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Bridging without bridge?
 Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:36:29 +0100
Hi,

I need to be able to pass packets between my LAN and my OPT1 (WiFi)
interfaces. While I know this can be done by bridging the OPT1 to the
LAN, I would prefer not to have the same subnet on the two interfaces.

I'm I wrong in assuming that it should be possible, either by the right
set or rules, or with static routes, to acomplish this?

It seem to work for my brother on his 4501, but my generic-PC won't let
ANY packages through from my WiFi to my LAN or viceversa?

I have rules to pass any on LAN -> any and any on OPT1 -> any. (would
like to restrict this a bit, but for now I use these very open rules to
ensure it isn't the rules being too strict that cause the problems. I've
even tried setting the source to any as well, but the above rules work
for my brother.)

No matter what your suggestions are, I'd like some info about static
routes anyway:

Sometimes, as I've experimented with these, I succeed in getting
m0n0wall to stop responding. Usually a manual reboot will cure this. Is
this due to me accidentially setting up some kind of "bad" static route
(ie causing some kind of loop) or is this a bug in m0n0wall? (If not a
bug, could you provide a, very short, tutorial as to how a typical
static route between two interfaces/subnets will look?)

Thanks,

Adam Nellemann.

P.S. Once again, I hope I've not missed a previous post on this topic. I
was at a loss regarding what to search for? Also, how does one see the
thread replies in the archive?