[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  SSID broadcasting, FreeBSD and PRISM
 Date:  Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:54:41 +0100
I attempted a port of the wireless "Enhanced SSID security patch" from
http://wleiden.webweaving.org:8080/svn/node-config/other/enh-sec-patch/
- which allows disabling SSID broadcasting - to FreeBSD 4.9.

While I think it worked and I can successfully set that ENHSEC RID with
wicontrol (and then don't see the AP anymore on my PowerBook), I've run
into another problem: ENHSEC only works with firmware 1.6.3 and above.
The only public firmware versions above 1.6.3 that I could find were
1.7.4 and 1.8.0 (well, 1.7.1 too but apparently it wasn't compatible
with my card). But those firmware versions don't work properly in hostap
mode with FreeBSD 4.9 anymore (clients cannot associate); I think this
has been reported before.

So it seems like we're stuck in a dead end as far as disabling SSID
broadcasting is concerned.

- Manuel