[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Reliable ADSL modem/routers
 Date:  Thu, 9 Nov 2006 14:15:46 -0000
Greetings list,

Does anyone have any suggestions for reliable ADSL modem/routers,
particularly any that deliver favourable results in ADSL Max or ADSL2+
environments?

I've discovered that routers based on Conexant chipsets (such as the
venerable Dynamode R-ADSL-C4 I've recommended on this list in the past) seem
to sync at noticably lower speeds with ADSL Max services than some other
chipset manufacturers.

I've also tried some of the Zyxel range having read reviews online about
their greater tolerance for poor line conditions. However, these have a
really annoying "feature" in that when the ADSL connection drops, rather
than simply timing out any requests, the router tries to be too clever for
its own good, diverting the user to a page from its internal http server
informing them of the connection's demise. This is an absolute nightmare for
large file downloads that would otherwise resume when the connection
returns.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Chris