[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Simon Dick <simond at irrelevant dot org>
 To:  Chris Bagnall <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Reliable ADSL modem/routers
 Date:  Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:21:43 +0000
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 14:15 +0000, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for reliable ADSL modem/routers,
> particularly any that deliver favourable results in ADSL Max or ADSL2+
> environments?
>
> I've discovered that routers based on Conexant chipsets (such as the
> venerable Dynamode R-ADSL-C4 I've recommended on this list in the past) seem
> to sync at noticably lower speeds with ADSL Max services than some other
> chipset manufacturers.
>
> I've also tried some of the Zyxel range having read reviews online about
> their greater tolerance for poor line conditions. However, these have a
> really annoying "feature" in that when the ADSL connection drops, rather
> than simply timing out any requests, the router tries to be too clever for
> its own good, diverting the user to a page from its internal http server
> informing them of the connection's demise. This is an absolute nightmare for
> large file downloads that would otherwise resume when the connection
> returns.

I've had a fair amount of luck with the Linksys ADSL2MUE modem, it can
work in either nat mode or allow proper PPPoE from m0n0wall to it on UK
adsl networks (I'm currently using one at home and have had remarkably
few problems with it), it's also nice and cheap. In my opinion it's well
worth it and means you don't have to try to hack around with some odd
bridge mode on it to use it well with m0n0 (or pfSense obviously)