[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Fwd: [m0n0wall] Hardware Question
 Date:  Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:14:56 -0500

until now I've driven m0n0 on a regular P3 500 MHz on regular PC hardware.
I'm using m0n0 for basic routing, DHCP, DNS and have 6 3COM NICs installed.
(These will be transferred in any case).

All the suggestions seem reasonable, except the poster originally
mentioned the need for 6 NIC's. Unless I'm mistaken, most of the cases
mentioned are for mini-itx boards.

I would personally lean towards a high-end P3 like a used Dell
GX150/GX200 with a CF card, 256MB RAM and three(3) 3COM or Intel dual
port NIC cards.

CF .. http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=CompactFlash

NIC .. 10/100mb ..

Intel 82557- or 82559-based Fast Ethernet NICs ( fxp(4) driver)
Intel Pro/100 S Desktop, Server and Dual-Port Server Adapters

NIC .. Gigabit .. http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=GigabitCards

~ Don