[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DNS Forwarder Length of Domain Limit?
 Date:  Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:01:04 -0600
Hi,
Be sure you flush the DNS cache on your PC after making the change
because it will always resolve the external IP because it's not asking
m0n0wall what IP it should be.  As far as length, I forward a domain,
clarksvillefortcampbellhomes.com on mine and it works fine.  I think
it's longer than the one you wanted to do so I'm not sure what the
technical limit is, but I'm sure it is as long as what is allowed to be
used for any web domain.  If this is being done from windows, you can
use *ipconfig /flushdns* in the command line to resolve this problem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Michael

Rodman wrote:
> Having a peculiar problem getting M0n0wall to forward one of my domain names to my webserver.
Seems there appears to be a limit on the size of the domain name that M0n0 wants to handle.  I want
to forward "hombregolfacademy.com" to my webserver which is "10.10.11.2" so my LAN can get to this
website via the virtual host.  However, m0n0 doesn't want to send me there.  It sends me to my
external IP instead.  Basically it is resolving "hombregolfacademy.com" externally (not looking in
the forwarder) and sending me to my own external IP.  Here is the weird part...

> ---------
> I can setup the forward of "hombregolfacad.com" to "10.10.11.2" and it works just fine.  All
internal machines going through m0n0 will get "10.10.11.2" as a result of a ping of
"hombregolfacad.com".
> --------
>
> -------
> I can setup the forward of "hombregolfacade.com" to "10.10.11.2"  All internal machines going
through m0n0 will get "10.10.11.2" as a result of a ping of "hombregolfacade.com".
> -------
>
> -------
> I can setup the forward of "hombregolfacadem.com" to "10.10.11.2" All internal machines going
through m0n0 will get "10.10.11.2" as a result of a ping of "hombregolfacadem.com".
> ------
>
> But as soon as I setup the forward of the complete domain name of "hombregolfacademy.com" it sends
me back to my external IP address.

> Leads me to believe that there may be a limit on the size domain name m0n0 can forward??  The term
"hombregolfacademy.com" is 21 characters in length.  Can m0n0 only do up to 20?  Any suggestions?
Beating my brains out on the desk here.

> BTW, been using m0n0 for a couple years now.  Best stand alone firewall system I have ever used.
Reminds me.  Need to donate!!