[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Michael A. Alderete" <lists dash 2003 at alderete dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall settings to allow IPSEC (without NAT)?
 Date:  Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:33:22 +0100
On 14.11.06 12:09 -0800, Michael A. Alderete wrote:

> It is my understanding from reading the manual and the list
> archives that m0n0wall does not support NAT-Traversal, and so you

That's true...

> cannot use VPN software through a m0n0wall box.

That's not true. m0n0wall only cannot act as an IPsec VPN endpoint
with NAT-T at this time, but that doesn't stop you from using other
VPN clients/servers that do. In fact, Cisco VPN clients work very
well behind m0n0walls (I use one myself as well) - often even without
NAT-T.

> That is, this configuration cannot be made to work:
>
> PowerBook w/  <-->  m0n0wall  <--> (internet) <--> Central Office w/
> Cisco VPN           using                          Cisco VPN
> Client              NAT                            Server
> 192.168.1.3

This should work just fine.

> P.S. Are there any plans to do away with the lack of NAT-Traversal?
> From my reading, it sounds like it would require moving off of
> FreeBSD 4.x. But as security requirements continue to be raised, it
> seems like it's kind of important to allow people to use their work
> VPN connections. --

FreeBSD 6.x will bring us NAT-T support for IPsec VPN tunnels
terminated on m0n0wall itself.

- Manuel