[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs dot com>
 To:  Chuck Mariotti <cmariotti at xunity dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hundreds of VPN Connections.
 Date:  Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:38:49 -0600
Technically, it is possible to increase the number of connections
monowall will handle for VPNs. However, there may be limitations to the
underlying architecture/daemon itself which might prevent you from doing
this. Obviously, for such a setup, an embedded device like a Soekris or
hacked Nokia will not work. You would need something with a fast CPU,
good amounts of RAM, good nics, etc.

Another thing you may wish to keep in mind with voip and vpns is
latency. I've noticed a varying amount of latency added to a connection
through vpn. Sometimes, it is only as little as 50ms, other times it is
as much as 150-200ms which may seriously impact your performance
depending on which voip protocol you choose. Also, overseas connections
may traverse some sort of satellite link which I have found to be almost
certainly unusable.

Tim Nelson
Technical Consultant
Rockbochs Inc.