[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP VPN Issues logging on from certain locations
 Date:  Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:41:33 -0500
On 11/17/06, Wade Carpenter <wade at webfootcustomcalls dot com> wrote:
> Im running various different versions of m0n0... mostly 1.2b3 but i
> think one or two a bit newer.
> Personally, as well as many of my colleagues here locally, have never
> had a problem logging on via PPTP to get into my system.
>
> But I have a company about 200 miles away, that I need to grant access
> to from time to time.  I created a PPTP user for them, just like all the
> other users I have created that work locally.  But at first (8 months
> ago) - only some of their techs could log in, others would get
> rejected.  All in the same office, but on different computers.  Now,
> after a catastrophe last night, I needed them to be able to log in and I
> couldn't get anyone on any machine from their office to successfully log
> in to the PPTP session.  All of my local guys still have no problems
> what so ever.  The outside Company, has many other PPTP accounts and can
> log into them all fine, according to their "head guy".
>
> We are all using the Win XP PPTP client, and I instructed the outside
> company to do the same, though I cant verify that they were infact using it.

What's the error message they're seeing?

At first glance, this definitely sounds like a problem on their side.
NAT and GRE (protocol PPTP uses) don't play well together, so
depending on what kind of firewall you're using to protect your VPN
client machines, you can end up with all kinds of "interesting"
results.

-Chris