[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Will this work?
 Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:45:01 -0500
On 11/21/06, Matt <migman1970 at sbcglobal dot net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> New subscriber here.  I am planning on setting up a VMware based
> m0n0wall firewall on one of my machines at home.  The machine will have
> a Ubuntu linux host OS.  This machine will function as a firewall, web
> server (via another VM), and fileserver for my internal network
> (residing on host OS).  It will have 3 physical NICs installed, lets
> call them eth0(from DSL modem bridged to WAN virtual nic on m0n0),
> eth1(bridged to m0n0 LAN virtual nic) connected to physical Gb switch,
> and eth2(connected to the physical Gb switch to isolate the fileserver
> residing on host OS).  The OPT inteface on the m0n0 VM will be hooked to
> another virtual nic on a web server VM at a later time once I get the
> other connections running.  Does this setup sound viable?  I have never
> set up m0n0wall before and am still fairly new with VMware.  I am doing
> this for fun and education, but at the same time I want to make sure I
> don't expose my fileserver to the outside.

Will it work?  Yeah, it should.  Is it a great idea?  Probably not.  I
wouldn't recommend putting your firewall on the same box as everything
else.  One small configuration mistake and you'd have your entire
network open to the world.  I would use a separate box for the
firewall, and then everything you describe with the other servers is
low enough risk that I'd be comfortable doing it as you described.

-Chris