[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Max Cristin <max dot cristin at rogers dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Will this work?
 Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:30:55 -0500
At home I have almost the same exact setup you are planning to use, even
though I'm now using PfSense instead of Monowall for stability issues I
encountered (see my recent post in this list for details).

Basically I'm running VMWare Server on a Windows Host with 3 NICS. Nic1
connected to the cable modem and bridged to the WAN port of the
firewall. Nic2 connected to my LAN switch and bridged with the LAN port
of the firewall. Nic3 connected to my web/mail server with xover cable
and bridged to the OPT(DMZ) interface of the firewall.

Important thing to note, is that the host has no networking protocols
bound to either Nic1 (WAN) or Nic3 (DMZ) so basically the host OS sees
them as Ethernet ports, but cannot communicate directly through them.
Those two nics only have the VMWare bridge protocol bound to them for
obvious reasons.

I eventually plan to move my DMZ server inside another Virtual Machine
and use a virtual adapter instead of Nic3 for my DMZ. I will just need
to add more ram to my host machine (only have 512MB at the moment) in
order to keep things running smoothly.

I started this as experiment just to see if it would actually work and I
besides the initial problems I encountered with Monowall, that forced my
to switch to PfSense, everything works great now and I was able to
eliminate my old Pentium 1 box and make the wifie happier in the process
by reducing the computer junk laying around the apartment ;).

I'm not familiar with configuring VMWare on a Linux host, but if you
have any question feel free to ask.