[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Loren Zemenick" <Loren at HilltopInternet dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  DNS forwarding does not seem to work for an aliased LAN address
 Date:  Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:36:02 -0800
DNS forwarding works fine for monowall 1.11 or 1.22 when monowall's LAN
address is used for the DNS server, say 192.168.1.1 . If an alias is added
by executing (exec.php) "ifconfig sis0 alias 192.168.1.2 mask 0xFFFFFFFF", a
computer configured with the alias (192.168.1.2) as its default gateway and
DNS can route ip addresses but cannot resolve DNS lookups. Am I doing
something wrong or is this expected behavior?

I have two monowall routers 192.168.1.1 and .2. Each connects to different
ISPs. The two firewall LANs are on a single subnet. Of 50 computers on the
subnet, half use .1 and the other half use .2 as their default gateway and
primary DNS. Occasionally, one ISP connection will fail. I want the
remaining firewall to imitate the one with a broken Internet connection.
Adding an alias for the failed firewall's IP address to the functioning
firewall works if only IP addresses are used. DNS request to the alias
appear to fail.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Loren