[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  walterpc at mchsi dot com (Walter PC)
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] wireless router connected to op1
 Date:  Wed, 29 Nov 2006 05:09:47 +0000
To allow management of the AP/router.. you may want to do the following:
1 - set the LAN IP to something in the same subent as your OPT1 port.
2 - set WAN port to DHCP (client) - it will have a 0.0.0.0 IP unless connected
to something.
3 - turn off DHCP as already mentioned.
4 - connect one of the LAN ports to OPT1 port with cable - already mentioned.

This will allow for local management or remote management (with NAT-forwarding),
if this is what you are wanting.
As long as your clients use the OPT1 IP as their GW, and they should if OPT1's
DHCP is turned on; you shouldn't have to worry about the routing, since nothing
will be directed that way.
The wireless and the 4 switch ports "SHOULD" be bridged together internally.

We have used this configuration at many smaller hotels when they take it upon
themselfs to purchase wireless routers instead of APs to add to their wired
network.  Works pretty well, unless someone hits the RESET and internal DHCP
kicks back on and then you have problems. If this is going to be in a place
where idle hands may find themself near the equipment (or if people at the site
use the words restart and reset interchangibly), you may want to put tape over
the reset button so it doesn't get hit by accident.