[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Installing M0n0wall over WatchGuard Firebox I
 Date:  Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:52:43 -0600
Confirmed! I have been running monowall and pfsense on a few of these
units for quite some time now. I've used both the Firebox I and the
Firebox FB100 successfully.. They generally run 266mhz Cyrix CPUs with
32MB of RAM(EDO SIMMs). The nice thing however is that the board has
slots for both SIMMs as well as DIMMs so you can easily upgrade the
memory. Not all of these boxes include the flash module as the article
writers unit has. As far as I know, the software for the Firbox was run
from the BIOS and configuration was stored on floppy or flash. For units
without flash, I've used either a compactflash to IDE adapter or simply
put in an old hard drive where the floppy drive was.

http://home.insightbb.com/~cyklopz/fb100/fb100.html
http://spicealley.net/~vincent/firebox.html

Both of those sites have information on the same units. The only problem
I have with them is the wonderful lights on the front that don't do
anything at all! On one unit, the lights are all lit up all the time. On
another unit, they are all dark except the power light. It would be nice
to see a monowall mod that would control the front panel. Someone has
written custom software to do this but has not given the source for it
and does not respond to my emails. ;-)

Tim Nelson
Technical Consultant
Rockbochs Inc.