[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Matt <migman1970 at sbcglobal dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Will this work?
 Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:24:27 -0500
Hi all,

New subscriber here.  I am planning on setting up a VMware based
m0n0wall firewall on one of my machines at home.  The machine will have
a Ubuntu linux host OS.  This machine will function as a firewall, web
server (via another VM), and fileserver for my internal network
(residing on host OS).  It will have 3 physical NICs installed, lets
call them eth0(from DSL modem bridged to WAN virtual nic on m0n0),
eth1(bridged to m0n0 LAN virtual nic) connected to physical Gb switch,
and eth2(connected to the physical Gb switch to isolate the fileserver
residing on host OS).  The OPT inteface on the m0n0 VM will be hooked to
another virtual nic on a web server VM at a later time once I get the
other connections running.  Does this setup sound viable?  I have never
set up m0n0wall before and am still fairly new with VMware.  I am doing
this for fun and education, but at the same time I want to make sure I
don't expose my fileserver to the outside.  If it matters the machine in
question is an Athlon XP 2500 on an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard with
a 1GB+ RAM.  Thanks.

Matt