[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using a USB Stick
 Date:  Mon, 4 Dec 2006 20:56:28 -0500
On 12/4/06, SDamron <sdamron at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Hmmm... I have never had a flash drive go "Bad" due to too many
> writes...  Is there some kind of documentation on that somewhere?  I
> have a 64 meg flash drive (USB) that I have had, and regularly used
> for about 4 years now!!

I believe they do both have roughly the same number of writes per
spec, but I've never had flash storage fail on me, and people are on
this list all the time with problems that end up being floppy disk
issues.

But specs for floppies and what's realistic in the real world don't
seem to be in line.  Maybe in a perfect clean room environment
floppies would get the same lifetime as flash, but dust and other
factors in the real world seem to make floppy disks substantially less
reliable than flash.

There is info in the archives on using a USB flash drive to store your
config.   If somebody finds it, please report back and I'll add it to
the FAQ since it seems to come up frequently.

-Chris