[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Anson Ringenoldus <ansonr at spruitje dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Using a USB Stick
 Date:  Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:15:33 +0100
>  >There is info in the archives on using a USB flash drive to store your
>>config.   If somebody finds it, please report back and I'll add it to
>>the FAQ since it seems to come up frequently.
>
>Here my Post some weeks ago regarding this.
>But they have moved the Wiki on this Server or whatever. so it is linked
>actually but noch accessible...
>so Google Cache or other Archive Services should do the job.
>http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:VDHezws4dWwJ:www.section6.net/wiki/
>index.php/Hacking_m0n0wall_cdrom_to_get_configs_from_a_usb_drive+m0n0wal
>l+usb&hl=de&gl=ch&ct=clnk&cd=1
>

>>Not the modified iso but a manual to modify an existing M0n0wall.
>>First result on google search....;)
>>
>>first google then tink
>>
>>http://www.section6.net/wiki/index.php/Hacking_m0n0wall_cdrom_to_get_co
>nfigs_from_a_usb_drive
>>

>>Regards Simon

The number of writes isn't that interesting.
The only time you write on flashmedia is when you save your config.
For the rest it only uses flash to boot.
It loads the compressed image to ram on boot.
Then it runs from memory.
I have a router running with coyote linux from a
floppy and its been running for about 4 year now.
In those 4 years it has rebooted 5 times due to power failures and upgrading.
Mvgr,
Anson

Toasty the toaster (Red dwarf)

ansonr at spruitje dot org