[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  harry at zyne dot co dot uk
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Minimal Dev Environment?
 Date:  Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:36:06 -0000 (UTC)
Hi all,

I want to have a poke around with m0n0's internals (well, the webGUI
parts) and I need to know what's the minimum software/OS I need to be able
to take an existing m0n0wall image, alter it, and re-roll it.

Some caveats/questions:
1. I'm a Linux kinda guy. Installing FBSD is possible, but a Linux
solution would be nice. I've had a (very!) brief look at kernel options
and IIRC, UFS support is read-only in Linux? Anyone know if I could get a
write-capable kernel module for 2.4.x or 2.6.x? Is UFS even the correct
filesystem?

2. I only anticipate altering the frontend PHP scripts, config.xml and
similar "frontend" bits. I don't think I'll need to recompile any daemons
or anything like that, so I shouldn't need a full FBSD toolchain. Is this
right?

3. Am I right in thinking that I could easily mount an existing image via
a loopback then create a new image easily enough? I've done a small amount
of work with embedded Linux systems using Busybox and so on, so creating
images is something I can manage. I had a quick look at the m0n0 dev docs
and this looks fairly similar. I'd prefer to be able to slightly modify an
existing image than to recompile the entirety of m0n0 from scratch, for
obvious reasons!

4. I'm only interested in the WRAP image, if this is relevant.

5. I'd prefer to use a full OS (rather than something like VMware) so if I
can't use an existing Linux box (possibly with a new kernel and/or tools)
I will set up a FreeBSD box. Am I right in thinking that a bare 4.11
installation (with a text editor etc) will be all I need? If I can do it
with Linux, are there any special tools I need etc?

Thanks very much for your help :)

Cheers,

Chris Taylor